5 Ways that Google Webmaster Tools Can help Your website
Article by Ruth Williams
If you are a webmaster, managing one or more websites, then Google Webmaster Tools could be very helpful to you. It enables you to effectively optimise your website for search engines, which in turn could lead to increased traffic to your site(s).
1. Firstly, Google Webmaster Tools enables you to submit an XML sitemap of your website. A sitemap is a list of the pages on your website. These pages are displayed in a hierarchy, showing the route leading to each page on the site. The site map is available to search engine robots and tells them about pages which they may not have otherwise found. Google Webmaster Tools shows how many of the pages on your site have been indexed.
2. Google’s robot (Googlebot) crawls web pages and indexes those pages which it thinks will be useful for future search engine results. Googlebot logs any pages it cannot crawl or links which it comes across which are broken. This information can be accessed through the Webmaster Tools dashboard, enabling you to fix any issues and fulfill your website’s potential.
3. Another facility which is useful is the ability to see which searched keywords led to your site being listed in Google’s search results and how many users clicked through to your site. From this information you can assess which are the most popular pages on your site so you can focus on those pages and the products or services which they relate to. By seeing the click through rate from your listing in the search results, you can also see how appealing your listing is to users.
4. Maximise your sites’ optimisation by deciding which Url you want search engines to direct traffic to. For example, starting with either http:// or http://www. – this can be set on Google Webmaster Tools.
5. An important aspect of website optimisation is obtaining both external and internal links to your site. Google Webmaster Tools lists details of these links which is downloadable. Details include which websites are pointing to yours and which web page they are pointing to.
If you want to drive more traffic to your site then Google Webmaster Tools provides the information which will make a difference.
Bird & Co Creative offers web design in Birmingham.As well as great design and functionality we also offer search engine optimisation. Visit www.birdandcocreative.co.uk for our 3 steps to successful search engine optimisation.